"Sorrow reveals forces in ourselves we never dreamed of..."
Harriet Beecher Stowe, in The Minister's Wooing (1859)
Our thoughts and condolences go out to our neighbors in Newtown, Connecticut as they cope with the sadness following last Friday's tragedy. In keeping with the Stowe Center's mission, below is an "Inspiration to Action" list of things you can do to support the victims of Sandy Hook.
- United Way of Western Connecticut's Sandy Hook Elementary School Fund via Newtown Savings Bank: https://newtown/uwwesternct.org
- Sandy Hook Elementary School Fund via CrowdTilt: https://www.crowdtilt.com/campaigns/sandy-hook-elementary-school-fund
- Sandy Hook Elementary School Victims Relief Fund via CrowdRise: http://www.crowdrise.com/SHSRelief
- "Secure Schools" effort to get security systems in place at all schools via GiveForward: http://www.giveforward.com/secureschools
- Newtown Youth & Family Services: http://www.newtownyouthandfamilyservices.org/donate.php
- Newtown Parent Connection: http://www.newtownparentconnection.org/
- American Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org/news/article/Red-Cross-Provides-Support-after-Connecticut-School-Shooting
- Help decorate the Monroe school which will house Sandy Hook Elementary School students by making paper snowflakes. Make and send snowflakes to Connecticut PTSA, 60 Connolly Parkway, Building 12, Suite 103, Hamden, CT 06514, by January 12, 2013. Financial donations can also be sent to Connecticut PTSA at this address.
- Observe the Connecticut state-wide moment of silence on Friday, December 21 at 9:30AM
- The U.S. Postal Service has established a unique Post Office Box to allow the public to send condolences to those affected by the tragedy in Newtown, CT last week. Expressions of comfort should be addressed to: Messages of Condolence for Newtown, PO Box 3700, Newtown CT 06470
- Show that there is more love than hate int he world via Wall of Love: http://walloflove.org
- Visit the Facebook group R.I.P. Sandy Hook Elementary School Children
- Wear green and white - Sandy Hook Elementary School colors - in honor of victims, via R.I.P. Sandy Hook Elementary School Children
- Offer voluntary assistance by calling the Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection at 211 or (800) 203-1234
Speak Out, Take Action
- Contact your Congressman to voice your opinions on forthcoming laws and discussions: http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/
- Sign the White House's petition to address the shortcomings of our current mental health system: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/address-shortcomings-current-mental-health-system-prevent-risk-people-becoming-violent-offenders/3sRkLcj6